7/2/08

A Loss to Our Little Community

It is with a truly great sadness that I write this post.
Our sweet cardinal couple has lost their little one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went to take a few more pics of our latest arrival just as a storm was approaching. As the winds started to blow I noticed that the nest was not securely attached. It was build on two branches but one was barely attached & as I was looking it came loose and started to dangle..with the little one inside..and I knew she was going to fall.
I grabbed a basket from an adjoining room and called to my husband in a panic "Help me quick!!..the baby is going to fall." I had just told him I was going to take some pictures so he knew what baby I meant.

The nest was sideways as he stretched out the window and held both branches (I was going to slide the basket down the branches to catch the baby) & in the blink of an eye the baby was gone. I prayed that she land on the large hosta just below as I ran down the steps. Sadly she had not. "Please be o.k...please!" I whispered,and slid a hosta leaf under her. But she wasn't o.k. & neither was I.

I wept for that little life and the parents who were so devoted to caring for her. What would they think when they returned and she was missing. Little mama was always nearby, she sat on her eggs for hours on end in all kinds of weather, patiently waiting for her babe's arrival. And the proud papa was never far, diligently feeding his mate and guarding his young.

I put the baby in the basket and slid it onto the branches, broken-hearted that I hadn't done so sooner.I just couldn't leave the parents wondering. My husband, of course, thought this was crazy and perhaps you do too but I watched those cardinal's day-by-day and knew they would feel a loss. And they did.

They came back several times to that basket and sat by it's side. The father flew back and forth and squawked as if to say
"what happened!?! we were only gone a minute" and mama just chirped this kind of clicking sound over and over. They were in mourning. I know. Because I watched them, I knew them and I cried.

I watch them still, this cardinal couple. He brings her food. And it led me to wonder.....about people....and the need we seem to have to blame someone or something for our losses.

Maybe birds are less complex...have tiny brains...but they live & love, they sing & play and they don't look to blame and seek retribution.


~~You can learn a lot from mother nature. I have.~~

.....Click to view a real love story......
Subscribe with Bloglines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping bye..Ya'll come back now!